Rebushing centers/mystery center pinning

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:29:42 -0600

Hello Richard,
    I am unawares of the "new" bushing and can't speak to their
characteristics as delivered from the factory, as you say.    I made
these observations  based upon Barbara's description of the results of
repining.  This sounds like an overly soft bushing as I said.  I have no
direct knowledge of any new bushing material from Steinway as I seldom
use these kinds of parts from them anymore.  Obviously, if they are not
too soft then there would be no need to harden them but their behavior
seems to indicate they need such treatment, or at least this particular
set does.   However, simply because the claim is made that the bushing
is hard doesn't mean, in my experience, they will be, perhaps yes,
perhaps no, perhaps sometimes and one probably will not know when until
perplexing difficulties arise.
     One can  take the hammershank and flange in hand and hold the
flange tightly while trying to wiggle the shank in a way so that the pin
can be made to move back and forth in the bushing and watch this
motion.     A soft bushing will show  more motion of the pin in the
bushing  and that is a serious problem as it has a really detrimental
effect on the sound.   I don't know exactly how much motion looks to be
too  much myself except that if I can burnish and repin, or use a
treatment and hear an improvement in the  sound then the amount of
motion of that particular pin was too much:  this suggests the rest are
likely to be similarly problematic  and the set needs to be either
repinned,  shrunk  and repinned , rebushed, or densified perhaps as I
describe.
       Sometimes, as I Barbara and I both have experienced, repining is
only a temporary improvement; in the face of such a frustrating
experience I tried the method I described.   It appears, as I said, at
least for the moment to have both worked at the time of use in
stabilizing the friction and wobble and led to no discernible subsequent
pining problem.   But, again, its purpose was to deal with an overly
soft bushing.  If I were Barbara in this situation I would find two or
three really weak sounding notes from the middle and low treble and
change nothing else but the density of their bushings with the mixture,
or take the time to use water with alcohol, and judge from the results.
I think is absurd even to have to do this lesser task by necessity but
even more so  when  it is necessary to take the time to rebush  parts
for which one has already paid good money to have acceptable bushings
come along with the rest of the order.   I'll have to climb down off my
soapbox here before I get myself really worked up!
Regards, Robin Hufford