Help with "bad" tuning...need help

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:57:00 -0700

At 08:01 PM 12/13/2004 -0600, you wrote:

Doug,
     Many factors involved, there. PTG offers a technical bulletin
explaining pitch raises. You can get it from the web site. A general
observation is that if the whole piano has drifted, it's the piano. If the
unisons have gone sour, it was probably your technique. If you do several
pitch raise passes, and settle the strings well, the piano should be okay
for at least half an hour. Really, after that, it's out of your hands.
But... perhaps you didn't actually raise the pitch. If you just "tune" a
piano that is extremely flat, it will drop. Guaranteed. And.... the plain
wires will act differently than the wrapped wires.
    When you are just starting out, you may have to consider the occasional
revisit as part of the learning curve budget.

    Don't ever fight with a customer. You might win.

Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT