installing damper guide rail

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:39:21 -0600

Tom,

Is the piano strung yet?  The correct location for the damper guide rail places the damper wires between the strings.  You should be able to get this close enough by eyeballing the guide bushings through the strings from above.    Later, when the dampers are installed, you can correct any misalignment of guide rail bushings to underlevers by bending wires.  Those of us who have had to fix the buzz of string on damper wire will thank you for doing this correctly.

Mike

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 12/13/2004 10:09:44 PM
Subject: installing damper guide rail

List

I'm happy to report that I am once again working for the local Steinway dealer in their rebuilding shop.  It's a great learning experience, and a great opportunity to work on some VERY nice pianos.  And they pay me.

I have been asked to re- install the damper guide rail on a S&S B that has had the board replaced.  In other words, there are no screw holes to position the rail.  The other tech at the shop told me to put all the old dampers in the holes in the guide rail and insert the damper wires into their damper blocks in order to line up the rail properly.  Then drill right through the holes in the rail into the board, making sure that the front edge of the rail is even with the edge of the board.

OK.  I understand this and can do this, and certainly it seems like it would work.  But being basically lazy, I wonder if there is an easier method.  Any advice out there?

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate