installing damper guide rail

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:04:48 -0800

Yes.  Just install a few of the dampers in each section and use them to
position the guide rail.  Eyeball the remaining guide rail holes to
insure that they align between the unisons.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tvak@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 8:10 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: installing damper guide rail

List

I'm happy to report that I am once again working for the local Steinway
dealer in their rebuilding shop.  It's a great learning experience, and
a great opportunity to work on some VERY nice pianos.  And they pay me.

I have been asked to re- install the damper guide rail on a S&S B that
has had the board replaced.  In other words, there are no screw holes to
position the rail.  The other tech at the shop told me to put all the
old dampers in the holes in the guide rail and insert the damper wires
into their damper blocks in order to line up the rail properly.  Then
drill right through the holes in the rail into the board, making sure
that the front edge of the rail is even with the edge of the board.

OK.  I understand this and can do this, and certainly it seems like it
would work.  But being basically lazy, I wonder if there is an easier
method.  Any advice out there?

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate