Help with bad tuning

Kenny Finlayson kennyfin@jetstream.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:07:43 -0800

Hi Doug Renz in Rochester NY.

=20

When it is evident the piano will not hold after one tuning, tell the =
customer he needs a pitch raise. For a pitch raise, I charge little more =
than half that of a tuning. The cost of a tuning, after all, includes =
the expense of a car and time wasted on transportation. A second tuning =
should not include all of that.

On the pitch raise, I do not spend time fine tuning. I can get it done =
in little over a half hour. If the strings feel they won't break, I pull =
them a couple of cents sharp.

=20

Then a good tuning on top of it. It's amazing how it will hold. If it is =
a full tone out, tell him he'll have to tune it again in three to six =
months.=20

=20

If the customer can't live with paying 1 =BD times more for a tuning, =
tell him to get someone else. There is good reason for this, namely the =
problem you ran into - now he thinks you're a lousy tuner. Let someone =
else look after him.=20

=20

Kenny Finlayson, RPT