Help with "bad" tuning...need help

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:35:17 -0600

Doug,

Maybe I've missed a post but I haven't seen anyone say this.
(Flame suit at the ready!) :-)

IMO, if a piano is more than 10 cents or so flat (or sharp, for
that matter), you need to do a "pitch adjustment". That's going
to involve more than just tuning it one time! That's the crucial
thing. You need to explain to the customer that it needs TWO tunings
at one sitting. The first one of course, isn't really a tuning. It's
just to get it up to pitch (a little over if everything looks OK.).
I use an SAT III so I use the pitch raise function.

Then you have to go back over it and give it a "fine" tuning. Of course,
if you're doing a pitch raise of 50+cents, it's not going to be possible
to "fine" tune it with only two tunings. Do it 2-3 times and tell them
that it should be tuned again in 2-3 months if they want it reasonably
stabilized. Of course, this should have been explained before you even
started. If they don't/won't agree to the extra cost, just offer to give
them a referral and walk away. Otherwise, you definitely have your
reputation on the line! JMHO!

Avery

P.S. For a "normal" pitch raise + a tuning, I charge half my tuning fee
extra. No exceptions!