lost customers

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:37:32 EST

Peter,

My situation is similar to Phil's.  I do some contract work for a store that
tells the customer that the piano only needs tuning once a year, regardless of
the fact that it's a new piano and the manufacturers suggest 2-3 times in the
first year, minimum.  Many of those clients I see only once, and I've gotten
to the point where I've stopped questioning whether or not they liked my
service.  It's usually a moot point.  Sometimes they find a new tooner who works on
the cheap and is a piano teacher for his day job.  Sometimes they just never
bother getting their pianos tuned again.

I used to take it personally, especially when I often did extra work to get
the piano functioning the way it's supposed to on the first visit, then got
stonewalled when I called back to schedule an appointment 6 months later.

If you send a questionnaire card, it will get tossed 9 out of 10 times, IMHO.
 I have asked people outright whether they thought my work was satisfactory.
Sometimes I didn't like the answers (like when I missed several unisions in a
piano where I was teaching a couple of kids all about tuning).  The best
answer I ever got was, "Oh, I married a piano tuner.!"  I then spent a few minutes
on the phone talking with her husband.  The more likely response is that it
isn't as high on the priority list as, say, a cat's annual trip to the vet.

I think the key is to not take it too personally.  When one puts as much into
his work as many of us do, it's hard not to be hurt by "rejection."