lost customers

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:04:38

Hi Peter,

I always ask my new clients who the last tuner was. 95% of the time they
simply don't remember. About 1% of the time they insist I was their last
tuner simply because I am well known.

If you do ask them--do it by phone.

I recently did some phoning in order to organize an "out of town" trip to
an area I've not been in for a while. Apparently rural people "recycle"
pianos to other owners far more "efficently" than city folks--where the
piano stays in the home long after Johnny has finished lessons. (Piano not
in use is the major "excuse" for failure to continue to service).

Good luck with your survey--and be sure to publish the results here!

At 07:49 AM 16/12/2004 EST, you wrote:
>I have wondered for a long time if there was a diplomatic way, and an
>effective way, to find out from customers you are sure switched to someone
>else, why they switched; if there is something I am doing that I should
>change, I would like to know so that I can improve my service.
>
>   but I also estimate about 30-50 people a year that stop using me for
>some reason; most are due to no longer using the piano, or just not wanting
>to spend the $, but for those few (I hope!) that didn't like my service for
>some reason, I would like to find out why.
>
> I am looking for some helpful tips on how to go about asking them, without
>sounding defensive, whiney, etc.
>

> Specific ways to phrase the questions, approaches, etc would be helpful if
>anyone has a proven method. what has felt most effective: phone? letter?
>postcard? etc.
>
> Peter
> RPT

Regards,