Pianos for heavy use?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:04:45 -0500

Many products such as power tools have both "home" versions as well as =
"commercial" versions, intended for heavy-duty use.  In fact, the "home" =
versions often have a warranty clause that excludes damage from severe =
use.

Do piano manufacturers explicitly market "heavy-duty" models?  Or does =
that just fall out from the low-end vs. high-end models?  I know some =
studios are advertised as "institutional", with toe blocks on uprights =
and so on, but I wondered if anyone explicitly addresses the challenges =
of pianos that are played, say, six hours a day.

Thinking about the analogy to cars (like Terry often does), the highest =
performance models are often the most temperamental and fragile, =
requiring a lot of maintenance relative to others.  I suppose any =
concert piano takes a lot of work, since the pianist requires so much of =
the instrument.

Just idle thoughts...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV