grand action problem

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:15:20 -0500

Hi Jon,

You wrote:=20

<<That's what I said.  If the hammer bore is too short, raise the
whole stack instead of the hammer rail.
Measure along the "Magic Line" to see if this relocation is
viable. Scott already said there was room
under the block to raise the 'rail'.>>

You mean to raise the entire action stack 7 mm or so???  That's quite a =
lot!  I thought you were just talking about 1-2 mm elevation in the =
hammer rail.  Perhaps a better solution, if shimming *must* be done, is =
to shim only under the rear supports, so that the action stack tilts =
slightly towards the keyboard?  This would elevate the hammers much =
more, for less change in the overall position of the stack.

I didn't catch whether someone else might have suggested another =
possible/likely source for the problem:  Perhaps the knuckles are =
flat???

>>However, Ric is right.  The most obvious fix is to sand the
back-sides of=20
>>the buttons, so that you can adjust them a bit higher.

>No, this would be disastrous if you first don't verify the degree of
>after touch now present.

What this would be achieving would be shifting the useful adjustment =
range of the letoff button.  The loss of a couple of mm of material =
would be completely inconsequential if indeed the letoff buttons should =
be adjusted where they are now.  The only way this would be "disastrous" =
would be if the letoff buttons need to be adjusted *downwards* to their =
full extent, in which case a useful 2 mm of range would be lost.  This =
hardly seems likely.

If indeed there is inadequate aftertouch, then the wippens are probably =
sitting too low; hence, the hammer rest position is probably too low.  =
Why not raise the capstans, setting a higher hammer rest position?  Sand =
the letoff buttons to adjust higher, and set the letoff at 1/16".  If =
you can't get a normal power stroke out of this action, it seems it =
would have been designed with the wrong geometry, no?  I doubt Schimmel =
does such things.  But if all this is true, the buttons still require =
sanding.

However, cherchez les knuckles!  If the action was ever "right" with the =
world, then the buttons probably had enough adjustment left in them to =
yield proper letoff -- perhaps only barely.  Now with flattened elderly =
knuckles (??), the letoff cannot be adjusted high enough.  Plausible =
theory??

Peace,
Sarah