fallboard flop

Hazen Bannister hazen@bannisterpiano.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:59:20 -0500

Don wrote:

>Hi Hazen,
>
>How about just removing the fall board where ever possible--after all you
>will want to retrieve the lost pencils in any event!
>
>At 07:03 PM 16/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>When tuning a grand piano, I sometimes lean my arm on the front rim of
>>the piano, and the fallboard will often fall down, or flop back and
>>forth. I got a small clamp  ( C style ) from sears, and using felt to
>>keep from scratching the piano, you can clamp the fallboard at the top
>>to the rim of the piano, and presto, no more fallboard flop.
>>Best,
>>Hazen Bannister
>>

>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.
>Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat
>
>mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
>
>3004 Grant Rd.
>REGINA, SK
>S4S 5G7
>306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner

Don,
  If I hear something clinking on the keys, I'll remove it, otherwise
the clamp is a lot easier. No getting up to remove and set down the
fallboard, not to mention where to safely put it, in different
situations. Also not having to deal with those tiny screws on certain
models. I'm sure you've run across one where someone has broken, or
stripped out the screw.I had to drill out one last week, to do some
action work,where someone had broken it off in the hinge.
Best,
Hazen Bannister