"Nightmeyer"

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:38:49 EST

List,

Don't get me wrong.  I tune some Chinese pianos--Pearl Rivers in
particular--that are among the most stable pianos I work on.  I tuned one yesterday, for
example, that had barely budged in a year.

On the other hand, there are Niemeyer pianos.  I have found nothing about
them that I like.  I was supposed to tune one yesterday, but I spent my entire
appointment time trying to get several keys unstuck.  It wasn't tight key
bushings, balance rail hole, center pins, or negative lost motion.

What it ended up being--I hope and pray that it's "ended up"--was misshapen
jacks digging into overly soft hammer-butt material of some sort and just
wedging themselves up there.  I sanded off the sharp edge of the jack that seemed
to be catching, and it worked.  I also think that the action geometry on these
pianos is really bad.

I do not wish these pianos on any of you.  Anyone out there have experience
with these objects?  I swear that this thing made really appreciate the Pearl
River I worked on later in the day.

Like many people, he bought the piano because, from the outside, it looked
just about as good as any of the other shiny black pianos in the store, and he
couldn't be convinced that it wasn't.  I think I managed to talk him into
exercising his "trade-up" option.

We pay for our ignorance in the end, don't we?  And we pay for other people's
as well.

Dave Stahl