"Nightmeyer"

Doug Renz Piano Tuning pianotuner@frontiernet.net
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:48:29 -0500

Speaking of "bad pianos", I heard that Young Chang had some problem =
uprights in the 1980's that were poorly made. Has anyone heard this and =
know the model numbers of the problem Young Chang piano's? Thanks.

Doug Renz
Associate PTG
Rochester, NY
(585)227-5793
pianotuner@frontiernet.net

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 9:38 AM
  Subject: "Nightmeyer"

  List,=20

  Don't get me wrong.  I tune some Chinese pianos--Pearl Rivers in =
particular--that are among the most stable pianos I work on.  I tuned =
one yesterday, for example, that had barely budged in a year.  =20

  On the other hand, there are Niemeyer pianos.  I have found nothing =
about them that I like.  I was supposed to tune one yesterday, but I =
spent my entire appointment time trying to get several keys unstuck.  It =
wasn't tight key bushings, balance rail hole, center pins, or negative =
lost motion.  =20

  What it ended up being--I hope and pray that it's "ended up"--was =
misshapen jacks digging into overly soft hammer-butt material of some =
sort and just wedging themselves up there.  I sanded off the sharp edge =
of the jack that seemed to be catching, and it worked.  I also think =
that the action geometry on these pianos is really bad.=20

  I do not wish these pianos on any of you.  Anyone out there have =
experience with these objects?  I swear that this thing made really =
appreciate the Pearl River I worked on later in the day.=20

  Like many people, he bought the piano because, from the outside, it =
looked just about as good as any of the other shiny black pianos in the =
store, and he couldn't be convinced that it wasn't.  I think I managed =
to talk him into exercising his "trade-up" option.=20

  We pay for our ignorance in the end, don't we?  And we pay for other =
people's as well.=20

  Dave Stahl=20