Tuning Appointment cancellations

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:52:20 EST

In a message dated 12/16/04 11:16:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pianotuner@frontiernet.net writes:

> What do you do about tuning cancellations?
>
> What if a person cancels it twice? Do you have a
> cancellation policy? Any thoughts in this?
>
> I'm sure this has happened to one of you before.
> As one who is diving into this, I need some thoughts
> on how to handle this for now and the future.

Doug,

They don't bother me as long as it's a day in advance or more.  If they call
me at all, I don't charge, and I can plan to spend some time in a nice
location calling clients or just hanging out.

No-shows are a different matter, but I still give them the benefit of the
doubt.  After being a bit pissy, I calmed down when told that my last no-show
stepped into a hole on her way to the car to come and meet me for our appointment
and severely sprained her ankle.

What I really don't like is arriving at the customer's house and having them
say, "oh, it's a good thing I'm here!  I'd totally forgotten our appointment!"
 Grrrrr....lot's of good snappy answers to that one, but I've learned that it
pays to hold my tongue.

Not everyone understands that people who are self-employed are selling blocks
of time, and that when customers cancel at the last-minute or pull a no-show,
that is lost wages that THEY are responsible for.

Dave Stahl