established memory

Kenny Finlayson kennyfin@jetstream.net
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:02:40 -0800

=20

>One thing we didn't mention in the discussion of pitch raise, and help=20

>with 'bad tuning', is established memory. If the piano has had a well=20

>established memory at one time, it is easier to re-establish that =
memory.

> =20

>=20

Oh I like this concept.... Please... elaborate on what exactly you mean=20

and how you think a piano can manage to achieve such an attribute.

=20

>Kenny Finlayson,

>RPT

> =20

>=20

Cheers

RicB

=20

=20

Hi RicB:

=20

I happen to be playing Grieg's Lyrische Stucke at the moment. Very =
beautiful stuff.=20

=20

By piano memory, I refer to the stretching of the extremely hard piano =
wire, what we used to call 'music wire,' across a cast iron, what we =
used to call 'pig iron,' plate.=20

=20

It never ceases to amaze me how old pianos say of 80 - 100 years, manage =
to stay together and support the tremendous pressure exerted by the =
tension of the wire, cumulatively of approximately 18 tons. It says a =
lot for their sturdy construction, put together with hide glue, what we =
used to call 'horse glue.' =20

=20

Does it sound like I'm getting over the hill? I turned 60 recently.

=20

When the piano has reached a point where it will hold its pitch, the =
memory is said to be established.=20

I have observed that some old pianos that haven't been tuned in many =
years respond to pitch raise and tuning much more readily than others. =
This can only be due to established memory. If a piano teacher in the =
1920's had the piano tuned two or three times a year for 20 years, the =
memory would certainly be well established. A similar old piano, tuned =
only every several years, may not ever have had good memory established, =
and could conceivably go through all its life without being in tune; and =
this must be the piano that falls in pitch almost immediately after =
pitch raise and tuning.

Well established memory is an enviable achievement for any piano. It can =
only happen by repeated regular tunings and care by qualified piano =
technicians.

Best wishes for the season.

Kenny Finlayson, RPT