established memory

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:02:22 -0500

"I have observed that some old pianos that haven't been tuned in many =
years respond to pitch raise and tuning much more readily than others. =
This can only be due to established memory."

This sounds like a bunch of poppycock! Established memory? Maybe a =
persistent bend in a string, but established memory? Way too romantic. =
Is this theory promulgated by the originators of "the circle of sound"?

Any chance, as compared to a newer piano, that this old piano simply has =
strings that have lost much of their elasticity and has a flat =
soundboard? I wouldn't call such a condition "established memory", but =
rather "lack of function".

I remember one time that I pitch raised to A440 and tuned an old =
turn-of-the-century Kimball upright that was a good 200 cents flat when =
I started. I got called back three years later to tune it again. I =
provided a little extra time for that service appointment because I KNEW =
the piano would require at least a 10 to 25 cent pitch raise (if not =
larger). That old gal surprised me as it was right up to pitch. =
Established memory? I really don't think so. Non-elastic strings and a =
flat soundboard? Seems much more likely to me.

Terry Farrell
  =20
  >One thing we didn't mention in the discussion of pitch raise, and =
help=20

  >with 'bad tuning', is established memory. If the piano has had a well =

  >established memory at one time, it is easier to re-establish that =
memory.

  > =20

  >=20

  Oh I like this concept.... Please... elaborate on what exactly you =
mean=20

  and how you think a piano can manage to achieve such an attribute.

  =20

  >Kenny Finlayson,

  >RPT

  > =20

  >=20

  Cheers

  RicB

  =20

  =20

  Hi RicB:

  =20

  I happen to be playing Grieg's Lyrische Stucke at the moment. Very =
beautiful stuff.=20

  =20

  By piano memory, I refer to the stretching of the extremely hard piano =
wire, what we used to call 'music wire,' across a cast iron, what we =
used to call 'pig iron,' plate.=20

  =20

  It never ceases to amaze me how old pianos say of 80 - 100 years, =
manage to stay together and support the tremendous pressure exerted by =
the tension of the wire, cumulatively of approximately 18 tons. It says =
a lot for their sturdy construction, put together with hide glue, what =
we used to call 'horse glue.' =20

  =20

  Does it sound like I'm getting over the hill? I turned 60 recently.

  =20

  When the piano has reached a point where it will hold its pitch, the =
memory is said to be established.=20

  I have observed that some old pianos that haven't been tuned in many =
years respond to pitch raise and tuning much more readily than others. =
This can only be due to established memory. If a piano teacher in the =
1920's had the piano tuned two or three times a year for 20 years, the =
memory would certainly be well established. A similar old piano, tuned =
only every several years, may not ever have had good memory established, =
and could conceivably go through all its life without being in tune; and =
this must be the piano that falls in pitch almost immediately after =
pitch raise and tuning.

  Well established memory is an enviable achievement for any piano. It =
can only happen by repeated regular tunings and care by qualified piano =
technicians.

  Best wishes for the season.

  Kenny Finlayson, RPT