shop tip trivia--trimming shanks

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:55:37 -0800

I use small hand held supporting jig which I made and supports the
shanks from side play while it rests on top of the flanges.   I then
trim the shanks one at a time with a Japanese fine tooth pull saw that
cuts them flush.  I often don't sand them after as the saw cuts them
very close and I don't like taking the chance of stressing the centers
with a disk sander.

One problem with the belt sander technique is that I prefer the sanding
marks to lay perpendicular to the checking direction.

Jon Page has(d) a system in which he trims the shank and tails the
hammers at the same time with a band saw (I believe).  It does require
removing the shanks from the rail and building a pivoting jig, but it
certainly seems to work for him.  It is also very useful if you like to
measure the strike weights after the hammers are glued up which usually
requires removing them from the rail anyway.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 5:29 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: shop tip trivia--trimming shanks

  Hey guys
  I've tried several ways of trimming the long ends of new shanks. For
years I'd clamp a section O shanks in a jaras or spurlock clamp & then
cut with a small back saw. The set up got to be tedious recently &
frankly the procedure isn't fool proof so I have started using the new
pianotek center pin cutters which are nicely made which cut cleanly
enough to avoid tear out of any wood that protrudes into the shank hole.
What little is left I remove by propping the shanks up on a straight
edge, placing the action right out on the edge of my bench & removing
the remainder with a 3" by 18 inch belt sander with 120 ish paper. I use
just the front roller primarily. It's an easy process & it also cleans
up any minor imperfections in hammer tail line. The tails are lightly
roughed as well. I don't like tails very  roughened but it seems to help
the intial seating of the tail in new check leather.
 It's important to screw the stack down to the bench for safety before
sanding so it doesn't flop on the floor. DAMHIK cause I haven't done it
Safety first ya know.
 What do other do?
   Merry Christmas
   Dale Erwin