shop tip trivia--trimming shanks

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:29:05 -0800

Is that jig similar to the John Hartmand (I think) one in the=
 Journal?   It looked like a big block of wood with slots for the=
 shanks and rested on top of the flanges.

David I.

From: David Love <davidlovepianos@comcast.net>
To: 'Pianotech' <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: shop tip trivia--trimming shanks

I use small hand held supporting jig which I made and supports=
 the shanks from side play while it rests on top of the flanges. =
  I then trim the shanks one at a time with a Japanese fine tooth=
 pull saw that cuts them flush.  I often don=92t sand them after as=
 the saw cuts them very close and I don=92t like taking the chance=
 of stressing the centers with a disk sander.

One problem with the belt sander technique is that I prefer the=
 sanding marks to lay perpendicular to the checking direction.

Jon Page has(d) a system in which he trims the shank and tails=
 the hammers at the same time with a band saw (I believe).  It=
 does require removing the shanks from the rail and building a=
 pivoting jig, but it certainly seems to work for him.  It is=
 also very useful if you like to measure the strike weights after=
 the hammers are glued up which usually requires removing them=
 from the rail anyway.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net