Fwd: shop tip trivia--triming shanks

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:44:32 EST

-------------------------------1103388272

In a message dated 12/18/2004 8:43:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, Erwinspiano
writes:

Hi Jon
   Nice posting.
  I also have sorted  shanks by weight but not to  this extent. I'd like to
try this. My thought though is that with the Abel  shanks, they are already
thinned down & the differences in weight could  be, say more in the flange than
at the tip which would not give any difference  of strike weight.
    If you measure strike weights on the  Stanwood scale setup are you
finding this method to coincide with the overall  weight of the shank & flange & its
contribution to a difference in  strike weight as you describe in the example
below.
 Very interesting & thoro. As usual  Jon.
   Merry Christmas
    Dale Erwin

My  reasoning for this is the jaggedness of a hammer weight curve and shank
SW's. Let's say that one were to
simply install shanks right out of  the box in order. A 2 g shank could be
place next to a 1.6 g shank. Now  what if
an 8g hammer were set on the first and a 7.6 on the second. Their
respective SW's would be 10 and 9.2; almost
a gram! However, if the  shanks were swapped then each SW would be 9.6. A
much better solution  than having to
sand down the first and add lead to the second to achieve  the same result.

If one were to really indulge in the inertia craze  then you'd have to
weight the hammers first to a curve to mate
with  similar weight shanks.  More work than I think is really necessary
since that inertial effect is probably
lost through the lever  train.

I better get to work...

Jon