regulation problems in Aeolian era M and H 50"

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:34:44 EST

Salutations,

I've got some regulation problems on a 50 inch Mason upright from the 70s.
I've worked on other Aeolian uprights of that vintage, and some of them have
the same problem.

The initial problem was that the keys weren't bottoming out on punchings.  It
seems that it's been that way since new(though they bought it used).  There
was a huge gap between the bottom of the key and the punching when the key was
depressed.  This led to hammers blocking, bobbling, and a feel that could only
be described as spongy.

At my last visit, I added punchings, and improved the feel somewhat, but some
of the bobbling is still there.  I also had to increase letoff distance in
some areas of the keyboard an unacceptable amount to get it to work without
hammers blocking against strings.

I think that the main problem is that the key height is too great.  It was
somewhere around 70mm, though I forgot to write it down.  More precise
measurements are necessary, and they will be forthcoming after my next visit there in
January.  Blow distance is at 1 7/8(the only thing in the piano that seems at
spec...:-), but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I tried lowering the key height on a few sample keys by removing balance rail
punchings, but there was nowhere near enough aftertouch.  Should I try
increasing blow distance to 2 inches or more?  Any ideas???  Haaalp??

Any input is welcome,

Dave Stahl