torque

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:41:50 -0600

At 10:01 PM +0100 12/18/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
>... Like I say... lets not get hung up in side tracks here.... you
>all pretty much know just how tight a hammer flange center <<feels>>
>using the old tried and true finger test.

"You all" seems to imply most on the list. From my point of view this
is a huge assumption, and most likely inaccurate.

>The jack center should compare very favourably.... yes ?

If you mean favourably to the same gram resistant tolerances as
hammer flanges, sorry, no way.

>I am not sure at all you need the equivalant of a swing test, or a
>friction gauge, or any other such exacting test to get jack centers
>to conform to an acceptable tolerance here.

Sorry, Richard, discarding the need for specific tools to perform
certain tasks cannot be discounted. Gram measuring and weighing
devices are terrific instruments and serve to demonstrate some
significant differences between what is perceived and what is actual.

Granted some folks are able to discern feel, but that's only some,
and only after a great deal of concentrated activity in the field
ascribed, and sometimes only with tutorage, which you know, and
anybody who has been paying attention to your posts, have had plenty
of.

I find it very helpful to verify these tools against my perceptions
from time to time to insure I am staying on track, and I'm positive I
am not alone in this.

Keith

--
Keith McGavern