Noisy Jacks

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:27:43 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sspeev@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 10:05 AM
  Subject: Noisy Jacks

  Hello.=20

  So I recently removed the action of a Weber console, to do some =
regulating, but after returning it I noticed that several of the jacks =
are making a fairly loud clicking noise, and some of the notes are =
buzzing (damper related?).  When the action was out, i didn't really =
touch the jacks all that much; the only thing i can think of is that i =
had driven the action around, to and my from my apartment, and twice =
while on the backseat it rolled onto one side and then back onto the =
other, so maybe that affected something.  Anyhow, as may be apparent, =
i'm very new to piano technology, so go easy on me.  Thanks.

  Scott=20
     =20
  Go easy ?  Not here my Man !=20
      Kidding of course. While never a good idea to let an action roll =
around, It's unlikly that the jacks could be damaged.. .
      Is the noise when they return? Check the butt felt squares. Noise =
as you depress the key? check the let-off rail forks for loose screws.
      Buzzing , hard to tell without being there.Tighten all action =
brackets , check the fit of the action on the supports.Remember,  the =
louder the noise ,the easier to diagnose and fix.
      Try this on the next action transport instead of the back seat.
      Put the action in the front passenger area with one end on the =
floor and the other on the headrest. Very stable and easy with most =
cars-.
      Best wishes,
      Tom Driscoll RPT