Measuring center pin resistance

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:41:50 +0100

I addition it might be a good idea to put into perspective the relative
importance of friction variances when comparisons are made like the ones
made against SW variances. Friction weight variances in the degrees
mentioned largely disapear as soon as a part is set in motion. In the
case of a hammer flange,  tho you may find a 5 order difference of
torque needed to get the part moving,  it will represent perhaps only a
couple grams at best difference in static DW, and no difference in BW.
BW is a useable indicator of dynamic touchweight.  Tho I respect Phils
science quite a bit, I think it fair to say his post rather paints an
overstated picture the difference between friction levels really
represents.  Another point worth mentioning here is that friction levels
are by no means the most stable thing we deal with.... at least not with
in the ranges discussed.

The swing test and the Steinway tap test are indeed subject to the kinds
of variances Phil describes... but on the other hand these have been
used for a very very long time indeed successfully enough to be employed
in some of the most even playing instruments ever produced. Dont get me
wrong.... I dont mean one shouldnt strive for as much evenness as one
can build into an action or piano. But personally, I feel there is more
to gain by spending extra time and effort on other issues.

A side point.... Phils point about  how so and so many swings can result
is differing static friction levels.  The flip side of that is that
idendical static friction levels can equally result in similar variances
in swing tests.  This is really the main reason I've never used the
gauge, and prefer the swing test over the Steinway tap test. The swing
test best describes the friction as it plays into the part in motion.

Cheers
RicB