regulation problems in Aeolian era M and H 50"

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:46:01 +0100

Dave.

Been reading back and forth your replies to posts coming in on this, and
cant help but wonder about this gargantuan amount of air between where
you say the key stops and the front rail punchings.  20 mm is like a
huge amount.... even 10 mm away from the punchings is a ridiculously
large amount.  I have a hard time understanding that any of this can be
accounted for by the points suggested so far... not even in combination
when it comes to it.

Assuming you have even 5-6 mm of key travel, a 20 mm gap at the bottom
of this travel means there is over 25 mm of space between the bottom of
the key and front punchings.  Or taking your lowest samples of 12 mm
gaps... a near usual amount of key travel (10 mm) means about the
same... 22 mm.

Key height would have to be well over 6-7 mm too high ... which you
would easily be noticed by the bottoms showing way over the top of the
key slip...which you havent noted so I can only assume thats not the
case.  Conversely... if you key bottoms are at all below the top of the
key slip... then key height can not be more then a small amount too
high.... far to little to account for your stated problem.

Off hand something sounds broken... and rather big time.  That said, a
couple basics to confirm for next time you check the piano.

--Just how much key travel are you getting.  (should be around 10 mm)
--Just how much distance is there between the bottom of the keys and the
front rail punchings with the keys at rest. (should also be around 10 mm)
--Where are the bottoms of the keys height wise in relation to the top
of the key slip. (should be somewhere around 3 mm below the top of the
key slip... certainly no higher then that)
--Check whether or not the keys are binding... simply remove the action
and see whether or not they can fall or be easily depressed a full 12 mm.

Unless something is broken  .. about the only thing I can think of that
can account for such a large distance between the key bottoms and the
front punchings with the keys at rest is a combination of somewhat high
keys and nearly nothing for front punching thickness.  In which case
this is at least to some degree a separate problem for why you are not
getting any aftertouch with your stated 1 7/8 hammer blow. That, and the
bobbling must be caused by some lack of key travel.

What could be happening here is that the keys are  binding on something,
like the mortise in the balance rail holes, and at some time some tooner
tried to solve the problem of bobbling by removing most of the front
punching thickness and in general mucking up the regulation.  But 20 mm
at the bottom of key travel.... shheeeshh... thats hard to imagine.

Cheers
RicB