why sell maintenance the customer won't notice?

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:52:54 -0500

I think Dave brings up some good questions, ones that I have asked =
myself, and ones I don't have really good answers for.

Part of the trouble, for me anyway, is that I don't think the car =
analogy works all that well. I wish it did, 'cause I like 'em.

If you don't change your oil, your motor will wear at an increased rate. =
If you don't align your front end, your tires will wear prematurely. If =
you don't maintain your brakes, they could fail and you/someone could =
die.

If you don't file the grooves out of hammers, or regulate the action =
every five years or level the keys, does anything wear out prematurely? =
Is it dangerous? I think it is pretty much a performance thing. I think =
it is the reason there are many more Chevrolet Caprice and Ford =
Taurus-type cars sold than high performance cars - as long as the thing =
functions ok, then it's good enough for my use.

I have trouble with the same questions that Dave has and don't have the =
answers. There are some techs who sell blocks of service time rather =
than just a tuning. A typical block might be a half-day. Tune, regulate =
touch-up, tone build, etc. But I really doubt many of these clients are =
typical moms and dads with the Whitney/Sears spinet that second-year =
student Suzie plays. It's these average-joe piano owners we are talking =
about here.

Terry Farrell

  Dave
  I wonder if there is a 'car' analogy that might be useful . . .  I =
have my oil changed regularly, nad ya know, I don't notice a darn bit of =
difference $100 later . . .??
  I have the same dilemma with many customers, and when I am listening =
to myself talk to the customer, I sometimes think I sound like an =
encyclopedia salesman . . .!
  Oh well, such are the thrills of the job . . .
  Hope you have a happy Christmas with your family, and know that all =
those 'tuned' pianos will be making your customers christmas's a little =
bit better . . .

  =

  Jim Kinnear
  www.kinnearpiano.com
  Collingwood, ON, Canada

  >=20
  >     Tuned a medium-quality console that was 25 or 30 years old and =
had had=20
  > minimal use.  While tuning along, I noticed that it could use =
vacuuming and=20
  > a light hammer filing, but not terribly.  There was a bit too much =
lost=20
  > motion, but not enough to bother most players.  Several hammers =
weren't=20
  > quite aligned to the center of the unisons, but were still striking =
all=20
  > three strings.  I'm sure the keys weren't perfectly level, nor the =
dip=20
  > nicely uniform, and from its age and length of time without tuning, =
I'm sure=20
  > all the flange screws needed tightening, along with plate screws and =
all=20
  > other screws.  Oh, and there were a few strings in the treble that =
maybe=20
  > needed seating on the bridge or maybe their bridge pins tapped in =
(false=20
  > beats).  And I imagine that the let-off was a bit wide.  But it =
played=20
  > nicely and had a decent, acceptable tone and sustain.
  >     Nevertheless, I thought I should point out to the owner what =
work the=20
  > piano could use in addition to tuning to put it in top shape.  So I=20
  > explained all the above-mentioned items, that it was 30 years old =
and no=20
  > piano goes that long without needing at least some routine =
maintenance,  and=20
  > that it would cost a few hundred dollars to do a complete job.
  >     She replied, "What would I notice?"
  >     And you know, in all honesty, I had to reply, "Well, maybe not =
much."=20
  > The tone might be a LITTLE rounder after hammer filing, or it might =
be too=20
  > bright and need subsequent voicing down.  The tone was pretty nice =
as it=20
  > was.  She MIGHT notice that the action was a tiny bit more =
responsive (no=20
  > lost motion, closer let-off) IF she was a fairly advanced player, =
which she=20
  > was not.  But vacuuming, tightening plate and flange screws, seating =
strings=20
  > or bridge pins, de-traveling "wandering" shanks, regulating dip . . =
. I=20
  > doubt she or most average casual players would notice any change.  =
(I=20
  > already tuned it).
  >     Now, with much older pianos where the hammers are extremely worn =
and the=20
  > action is extremely out of regulation, or when the hammers badly =
need=20
  > voicing, often the difference after reconditioning is dramatic.  And =

  > sometimes the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, that is, =
they=20
  > might not notice this or that item, but all together, the =
reconditioning=20
  > improves the sound and touch of the instrument.  But in this case, I =
had a=20
  > hard time selling the job to even myself.
  >     Whatta ya do in these cases?  Just leave it?  Wait until it's =
"pretty=20
  > bad" before you work on it?  Why should they spend $300 or more if =
the piano=20
  > will feel and sound about the same as it did before?  It doesn't =
increase=20
  > the value all that much.  It does prevent things from getting worse, =
I=20