Year End

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:12:54 -0000

There is good news and there is bad news from this end. I am Down from =
last year on appointments by 25% but only down by 7.5% financially, =
which means that profitability is actually UP.

The one challenge we are going to have to address is the onslaught of =
the digital piano. Traditional piano dealers are selling more of these =
now than the real thing. I always try and put my customers off buying =
them by saying that they lose their value very quickly, just like =
computers because they become outdated (obsolete) within a few years. I =
also tell them that they will soon become tired of the sound of a =
digital piano (at least I do) "listener fatigue" and all that. I can =
only play a digital piano for about half an hour and have to switch it =
off.=20

Have any of you ever analysed the tuning on a digital piano: it's =
terrible. The temperament is not very smooth at all and even the unisons =
aren't all that great. However I do suspect that if they were tuned the =
way we tuners would like them to be tuned, they probably wouldn't sound =
like pianos at all!

Any other ammunition with which to bombard the onslaught is welcome.

Looking forward to another year.

Burp!

  ----- Original Message -----=20