digital?

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:26:24 EST

In a message dated 12/26/04 12:50:24 AM, donmannino@comcast.net writes:

> Kawai models also have variable tone quality on each note based on velocit=
y=20
> - something akin to hammers sounding mellow when played soft, and have mor=
e=20
> brightness and bite when played hard.=A0
>=20

Yes, and they have 127 variable steps max.   That's the MIDI standard.   127=
=20
steps.   It is not possible under the MIDI standard to have more than 127=20
discreet steps of volume or tone on a single note.  =20

This is akin to paying your bills in dollar increments.   How much is that=20
doggy in the window?   $27.35?   Here's $28, thanks!   Change on the dollar?=
  =20
What's that?

Who wants to watch 4-cylinder cars with bald tires race?

The Canadian Steinway artist who performed on a digital keyboard is simply a=
=20
fool.   Who would intentionally limit his expressive capabilities unless the=
y=20
were limited in the first place.   Maybe he can't tell the difference becaus=
e=20
he doesn't have the ability to control a key well enough to take advantage o=
f=20
an instrument capable of an infinite number of volume and tone changes.

I have never heard him play but I have no respect for anyone who would make=20
this choice in a concert setting where a professional performance standard i=
s=20
expected.  =20

On the other hand, there is a time and place for such instruments.   For=20
instance, pit orchestras for musical theater productions.   Mic-ing an acous=
tic=20
piano which sits in front of the brass and next to the drums and bass is=20
difficult, and keeping the instrument in tune when the environment changes s=
o=20
drastically day to day (the theater is dark on Mondays and the heat/AC is tu=
rned off)=20
and hourly (fill the house with 1000 people and check your hygrometer and=20
thermometer) is practically impossible.   Furthermore, in context, i.e., wit=
h=20
drums, bass, and other instruments in the mix, the digital piano sounds fine=
.

But on stage, in a solo situation, with your performance being listened to,=20
critiqued, and being paid for by an audience who expects to hear something o=
ut=20
of the ordinary, choosing a digital keyboard is ludicrous.   He seeks to bre=
ak=20
new ground by sinking below it.

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate=20