Square Grand tuning: fun

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 07:29:48 -0500

Joe, I'm 6' 0" and I sit at a square grand to tune it. No way would I =
ever bend/stoop to tune. I will bend over for a few seconds to get =
started on the correct tuning pin - but after that you don't need to =
inspect each pin - there is a bit of a pattern to their arrangement!

For any piano other than a square grand or a birdcage I will quote my =
normal tuning fee. If someone wants me to tune either of those two, I =
quote my square-grand/birdcage hourly fee (25% greater than my normal =
on-site hourly rate).

Terry Farrell

  Tom S. Asked: "OK, Joe, I understand why the shorter tuner might have =
problems reaching the=20
  pins, but why would someone over 6'2" have more difficulty?"

  Tom,
  Although you meant this as jest, there is a real answer. If you are =
over 6'2", your waist is higher than will be comfortable in the =
bending/stooping, which will cause undue stress on your back muscles. I =
have a friend/fellow tech who is a large 6'7", (or so). He is able to =
sit and tune a Square Grand! However, this is not a good situation, =
either, as finding the CORRECT tuning pin is the main reason for all of =
the bending. For him, there is lots of standing/sitting going on while =
he tunes a Square Grand. Incidentally, I am 5'11", which is about a =
perfect a height in my estimation. I should say one thing: when tuning =
Square Grands, it is advisable to book extra time, so that you can take =
NUMEROUS breaks. I've found that stretching exercises =
before/during/after are essential!=20
  For Square Pianos, the proper position is sitting, as these are quite =
a bit smaller in depth and oft-times have the tuning pins at a more =
expeditious location.
  Best Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police