why sell maintenance the customer won't notice?

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:07:57 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry" <terry@farrellpiano.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2004 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: why sell maintenance the customer won't notice?

> What maintenance on a piano will prevent future wear?

OK, not future wear, but incorrect wear, or destructive wear.... that is, if
the jacks aren't aligned properly to the butt leathers or knuckles, they
wear an offset groove causing the leather to wear unevenly.  Or if the
hammers aren't hitting the unisons in the center, they can wear off one side
of the hammer, giving it a "stepped" striking surface.   Same with
backchecks and catchers -- they can wear deep grooves off to one side, or
cause a "step" in the shape of the backcheck felt -- then you can't re-align
it; you have to replace it.
    And keeping all the trapwork and hardware screws tight keeps things from
working loose or buzzing.  And if center pins are poking out of their
flanges, they rub on neighboring parts, then the bushing wears unevenly and
has to be re-pinned or re-bushed.

  > but wear will likely occur at an increasing rate if you don't fix it.

    Exactly.  That's what I meant.

>I just have a hard time thinking how to use the "prevent future wear"
>argument.
>
> Terry Farrell

OK, how 'bout "Maintenance will keep the piano playable longer, before it
needs a major overhaul," or something to that effect?

    --David Nereson, RPT