Year End

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:15:53 -0800

Dale,

Ditto to what you said. Sometimes I've taken on an old upright that
sounds interesting, to fill a hole in my schedule left by a
cancellation. But recently, I went to tune such an instrument, a "free"
piano, which should have been my clue to beg off. A peek inside revealed
a motley crew of dampers and hammers, wobbly pinning, etc. Drained of
any enthusiasm to proceed further, I sat down on the bench to talk with
the proud new owner. The bench immediately crumpled into several pieces
giving my tail bone a brutal whack and so, not needing any more excuse
than a pain in my butt, I recommended him to one of my colleagues and
limped back to my car.

There's a reason why we encourage newcomers to this trade.

Tom Cole