digital

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:48:15 -0500 (EST)

   Scaning subject responses, I sence some
misinformation regarding digital keyboards vs acoustic
pianos. One argument claims digital is cheaper.
I beg to differ.  Every keyboard becomes computer
junk. With every new generation of technology, old
components cease production. The units are soon
worthless & unservicable, just as old gernerations of
computers.

 A Rolland U220 I purchased a decade ago for $1500 is
almost worthless today. The U1 purchased used at the
same time for about $2000 canadian( approx. half
price) is now worth $5000 canadian, (about ahlf
price). This is a 100% loss on the keyboard, and a
250% gain on the piano.

   Portability, computer applications, & variety
of timbre are valid professional reasons to favor
keyboards. Financial good sence is not such an
argument.

  I own a keyboard, I need a keyboard.
  But a piano as added value for a family in these
three areas.

Three reasons to favor purchase of a piano over
keyboards.

1) Preservation of financial value as above.

2) Touch, a real piano touch is better to work with
   and develop control with.

3) Hertiage.
  Music & instruments as art. We attempt to give our
children appreciation of things intangable. Something
beyond that gives substance beyond physical things.
Love, art, expression, those things that make us
human, spiritual. How many times have I been asked to
rebuild grandmas piano because it means something
sedimental. Thousands of hours from generation to
generation presuing artistic goals.
  Reducing this to disposable items is a shame.

  For the family setting, not only finance and touch,
but some degree of heritage value counts. Something
of personel history to pass on.

                         My Opinion
                         Cheers
                         David Renaud
                         RPT
                         Canada

   The main 3 reasons I tell my clients to favor
a piano over a keyboard.