digital

Hazen Bannister hazen@bannisterpiano.com
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:06:55 -0500

David Renaud wrote:

>   Scaning subject responses, I sence some
>misinformation regarding digital keyboards vs acoustic
>pianos. One argument claims digital is cheaper.
>I beg to differ.  Every keyboard becomes computer
>junk. With every new generation of technology, old
>components cease production. The units are soon
>worthless & unservicable, just as old gernerations of
>computers.
>
> A Rolland U220 I purchased a decade ago for $1500 is
>almost worthless today. The U1 purchased used at the
>same time for about $2000 canadian( approx. half
>price) is now worth $5000 canadian, (about ahlf
>price). This is a 100% loss on the keyboard, and a
>250% gain on the piano.
>
>   Portability, computer applications, & variety
>of timbre are valid professional reasons to favor
>keyboards. Financial good sence is not such an
>argument.
>
>  I own a keyboard, I need a keyboard.
>  But a piano as added value for a family in these
>three areas.
>
>Three reasons to favor purchase of a piano over
>keyboards.
>
>1) Preservation of financial value as above.
>
>2) Touch, a real piano touch is better to work with
>   and develop control with.
>
>3) Hertiage.
>  Music & instruments as art. We attempt to give our
>children appreciation of things intangable. Something
>beyond that gives substance beyond physical things.
>Love, art, expression, those things that make us
>human, spiritual. How many times have I been asked to
>rebuild grandmas piano because it means something
>sedimental. Thousands of hours from generation to
>generation presuing artistic goals.
>  Reducing this to disposable items is a shame.
>
>  For the family setting, not only finance and touch,
>but some degree of heritage value counts. Something
>of personel history to pass on.
>
>                         My Opinion
>                         Cheers
>                         David Renaud
>                         RPT
>                         Canada

>   The main 3 reasons I tell my clients to favor
>a piano over a keyboard.

Hi,
  I purchased a Mini Moog,and ARP string ensemble in the early 70's that
are worth far more today, than they were when I purchased them. They are
also working great today, along with numerous pieces that I use in
studio sessions constantly, far from computer junk.With the higher end
Roland products priced similiar to a U1,and even less expensive
ones,they are upgraded every year free for the customer.
Best,
Hazen Bannister