Two strange pianos today

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:15:10 -0500

My first clue should have been when the customer said over the phone =
that she had a "grand spinet".  I put it down to typical customer =
confusion... until I got there this morning.  Yup, it's a spinet, with =
"Grand, 1911" on the fallboard!

Pierce says they were made in North Carolina in the 60's.  The local =
dealer says a lot of 'em were sold around here.  I'd be hard-pressed to =
choose between one of these and a Betsey Ross (although no plastic =
elbows).  It had Robertson square-drive plate screws!  Had to wash out =
my ears with soap to get the sound of it out...  Paneling for a =
soundboard, parallel to the floor.

The second one was a new Samick studio.  Loud chords around middle C =
caused a loud string buzz, something clearly on the string.  =
Investigation revealed that when the damper heads lifted, their (tails? =
Can't find my Mason book...) moved so close to the strings that they =
would actually touch.  A chord was needed to cause it; because of the =
slant of the wound strings, the damper tail of C4 would touch E3 when it =
was played loudly.  Of course, the sustain pedal caused it, too.  =
Adjusting the pedal helped.  It was just the middle octave, because the =
wound strings are closer to the action.

I thought I could make some minor damper adjustments, but quickly got =
into Upright Damper Hell.  Even the trick of pulling the action to =
regulate didn't help:  I tried shimming the balance rail so that the =
hammer and damper moved at the same time on my correctly-timed samples, =
but the damper was already moving before the hammer with the balance =
rail in its normal position.  Maybe there was too much lost motion?

Sounds like a complete regulation check is what's needed... or sanding a =
bit off those tails!

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV