regluing veneer

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:39:26 EST

Hi Jim
  Indeed this is a very common occurrence & we've  replaced a fair bit of
veneer in our shop. It also seems to get looser &  more obvious after tha piano
has been stripped, If a piece has come off beware  the rest of the glue joint.
Tap it with the flats of your finger nail as you  would for checking loose
Ivory.
  Since it was glued on with animal hide glue this should  be the glue of
choice if re gluing it. The new hide glue will reactivate what's  there and will
provide a good joint. Either hot or cold is ok.
  If veneering the whole arm one must make a caul  from a block tracing the
from the profile of the arm on the side &  then cut it out on a bandsaw,sand
to fit & pad it  with a thin  felt. Sugar pine works well for this. The block &
veneer can then be clamped  with a pipe clamp from the block to just behind
the keybed for a good solid  purchase/grip. A c -clamp or pipe clamp can hold
the front down. It's best to  use wax paper between the felted block & the new
veneer. You can guess  why.
  also if it's double veneer you get to do the routine  ,twice.
  What fun. Not my favorite job but  essential.
  Dale Erwin

Is this  veneer of the arms?  That is a common place for Steinway veneers to
come loose and crack.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning &  Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
(314)  608-4137

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com