Tuning Levers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:58:25 +0100

On 29-dec-04, at 15:49, Matthew wrote:

> Greetings fellow Piano Techs,
>
> This is my first post to the list serve so please be merciful. :-)
>
> I will be purchasing a new tuning hammer soon as my old lever has seen
> quite a bit of wear and tear. I am curious as to the different styles
> of hammers you all use and if you have any recommendations as to
> tuning levers that have stood the test of time and ones that may not
> be quite as good as they were advertised.
> Do some of you carry multiple tuning hammers depending on the piano
> you come across? Say, a heavier hammer for pitch raises and then
> switch to a lighter one for more precision work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Lavender _______________________________________________

Hi Matthew and welcome,

I have used all kinds of hammers and since around 1990 have exclusively
used the Yamaha hammer with tip nr 1 only.
It is a very balanced hammer with a good weight which helps you tune
and it is thick enough to not hurt your hand.
Also, since there are no moving parts other than the tip (which I never
remove anyway because it fits on all tuning pins anyway) there is no
irritating clicking of a tuning hammer shaft inside the base of the
hammer (very irritating that, and especially so with Steinway type
hammers.
Of course the list of hammers is a long one, but you asked....

(; >))

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek