"Bird cage" piano

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:36:36 EST

Greetings,

          The other day I tuned a piano that has all the damper wires in the
front of the action....very gently!  The people wanted to know if the piano
could be refurbished, however, the action wood is not all decrepid and dark and
dried out! (as one think it would/should be after all those years)

           My question is: Was there a company that made replacement actions
for these pianos, perhaps in the 1950's, 1960's? The reason I ask is that the
action's wooden parts look no older than that....and...are these pianos
difficult to rework (new cloth/felts regulation and such)? (I really think this
piano is not worth it)

rookie,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA