"Bird cage" piano

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:46:46 -0400

It depends on the environment they were in.
I have seen some that were almost pristine. The majority I have seen, have been the other kind, that came from houses that had coal fires.
I have only come across one, that had a reasonable sound after tuning, I was pleasantly surprised. So obviously, there are some 'good' ones out there. :-)

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 1:36 PM
  Subject: "Bird cage" piano

  Greetings,

            The other day I tuned a piano that has all the damper wires in the front of the action....very gently!  The people wanted to know if the piano could be refurbished, however, the action wood is not all decrepid and dark and dried out! (as one think it would/should be after all those years)

             My question is: Was there a company that made replacement actions for these pianos, perhaps in the 1950's, 1960's? The reason I ask is that the action's wooden parts look no older than that....and...are these pianos difficult to rework (new cloth/felts regulation and such)? (I really think this piano is not worth it)

  rookie,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA