digital?

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:54:13 -0600

There was a boom in the organ business for a number of years worldwide,
but the bottom fell out some years ago.  It's unusual to see a new organ in
a store now.  I used to do organ service , and business was very brisk.
There
were several techs. in our area, but now there is only one. Population
in my area
is about 700K, plus surrounding area, which would get to a million.  The
one tech.
does more keyboards than organs, most days, I'm guessing.   He may be
the best
organ tech. in  Canada, and will probably have plenty of organ work for many
years to come.  There are millions of pianos on this continent alone,
and should
afford us techs. work , at least until people realize  that a  piano is
unique
unto itself, and can't be replaced with an instrument that almost plays by
itself, by inserting cards and having automatic whistles and bells. Hope
I'm not
whistling past the cemetery, but other instruments have had down times,
and recovered.
Problem as I see it, is that much damage can be done to the industry
before the  average
citizen wants to play a real instrument again.   I think that was what
killed the organ. They
became so  automatic that there wasn't much of a challenge to play.  Of
course that's not
entirely correct, because it takes much practise and study to learn to
play any instrument.
I believe that the violin and accordion is making quite a recovery , of
late.  Shania Twain
is using accordion and violins , exposing these instruments  to the
young population.
[I wonder how much canned music is hurting the music industry  overall.]
I do worry that the industry will suffer much, before the pendulem
swings in our favor.

Carl / Winnipeg