Recycled technology-cutoff bar

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:03:17 EST

List
     I find this kind of thing fun when I  can take a beautiful piece of
previously engineered something and adapt it to  something else saving big time &
cash & utilizing something that  originally was very expensive to make & end
up with a nice  result
  A client brought in a 1900 ish Baldwin upright that  ended up needing more
than it first appeared, including a board. It wasn't  worth doing so the
decision was made to scrap it. The tech who brought in the  job wanted the beams &
such for the maple & I'll be able to  salvage the spruce in the lam. beams
also.
    The real jewel though was that this piano  had a laminated soundboard
liner just like Mason or Stwy grands &  uprights ( not as thick as a grand ).  I
managed to get it off in nearly  one piece with crow bars, chisels & an
Oklahama speed wrench.
    Now coincidently I'm replacing the board in  a 6 ft. 1 inch Mason AA no.
28,246  which has ribs so long a cutoff bar was  really a necessity.
    The old Upright board liner had plenty of  stock for this & by fashioning
it to fit the corner of the AA I was able to  install a straight 28 inch cut
off bar that reduced the overall length of 6  ribs as much as 13.5 inches. My
longest rib was 50" & one of the  longest I've ever witnessed in any piano.
This rib is now about 37.5  inches long. I don't believe its possible to use
ribs this long and expect crown  support for very long. Although my observations
of the  AA's is  limited the 13 rib scale has shown the crown has not survived
 even with tension resonator claims. Hence the few AA boards I've  seen  are
usually quite flat. The sound of this piano though fair was  quite lack luster
in its tonal appeal if you know what I mean even though the  board was not
seriously cracked up
   The Mason AA has a very wide body & hence  very long ribs for a 6 ft 1"
piano
   The original rib scale was as follows on the  left
   For clarity the measurements  below are the actual rib speaking length not
including the piece in the  notches.

   1. 30       in  inches
   2. 37
   3. 45 --------38  modified  length
   4. 50 --------37.5
   5. 46  -------35.5
   6. 40 --------32.5
   7. 34 --------29.5
   8. 28 --------27
   9. 28
  10. 20
  11.18
  12. 15
  13. 13
  It's easy to see there is far more hopes for  the longevity of rib & crown
stiffness than the previous scale. this mod  also get the bridge more nearly
centered over the long ribs which is IMO a good  thing.This original bridge
also has the  transition bridge with all the  usual funky tri-chords. It's
receiving a modified trans. bridge with  bi-chord replacements.
  I'll let you know how it turns out in a month or so.  The action is done &
case stripped. The parts are in the finish process  waiting for the belly man
to get it done so my finish guy(Roy) can have the  case & plate.
   Good new year to all
    Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com