replacing a Bluthner action

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:34:17 +0100

Hi Don

I have to admit I hadnt gotten around to looking closely at this paper
before you mentioned it yesterday. So I ran through it a couple times to
be sure of what our friend Hans Velo has to say here and this is what I
get...

His measurement device and calculations rely on a single measurement for
each sample key.  That in turn is based on the 0.4 kg weight attached at
about half the length of the measuring devices' main lever, so that
works out to about 0.8 kg (800) grams at the key. The device lever is
released and the 800 grams pushes the key down while simultaneously a
pair of electric contacts are opened to register the start of the
measurement. When the key has traveled 5 mm another pair of  electrical
contacts are tripped to register the end of the measurement. This
provides him with the measured distance the key travels (5mm) and how
fast it travels that distance in, which he plugs into a formula along
with a factor representing the influence of the 0.4 kg weight. (the mass
itself times the device levers ratio). The mass of the lever itself is
also accounted for.

Once he has this he simply solves for the amount of force needed to move
the key at different speeds then the measurement speed by plugging in
whatever speed he wants to calculate for.  So... its rather a
<<measurement>> by proxy if you will. He doesnt actually measure the
force for these speeds directly.  He could have actually done it the
other way around, and solved for key speeds for any given force value...
but thats not really the point.

I am not able to confirm or deny the validity of this approach, so I'll
let Mark or Sarah or maybe Phil to take care of that. But assuming his
conclusions are correct, then his magnetic assist configuration does
indeed influence the dynamic touch weight in way that needs a bit of
explaining.  There are at least two very interesting and direct
consequences of his conclusions. The first is that the magnets influence
the dynamics of the action in a similar way a change of the physical
ratio does. (one of the claims I make for my own variant of the MBA
btw). There are really only two ways I know of that this can happen
really...either the ratio itself is indeed altered or the force that the
magnets exert change significantly through the keystroke.  Ideally, the
magnets should exert as close to the same amount of force on the system
throughout the whole keystroke as is possible, so I can only assume
something about the presence of the magnets directly influence the ratio
itself.

On the other hand, you have an obvious inconsistency either way. You get
neither a constant force equivalent of so and so many grams of lead, nor
a consistent change in the ratio (if thats whats going on at all).  In
addition, there is a strange inconsistency in the way black keys are
influenced as compared to white keys.

My first inclination is that number one, such inconsistencies are not
particularilly desirable from the pianists perspective. And number
two... I am become a bit suspect about the validity of the
<<measurement>> methodology.  Remember... he only actually measures the
speed and distance resulting from the device (and accompanying mass)
itself moving the key... the rest is calculations based on the
assumption that his formula is valid for both conditions... with and
without magnets.  Perhaps this functions fine when dealing with pure
mass and leverage... but fails when magnetic fields or springs are
employed.  But like I say.. I dont know and will let others who have a
better grasp of physics answer to that.

That said... should his methodology be sound, one has to explain how
exactly the magnets accomplish what they do, and one has to accept the
inconsistencies they create in touch as reflected by these calculations
as being acceptable from the pianists point of view. The former should
be explainable (predictable) in terms of leverage math and magnetics
physics I should think. The later is up to the players and we pretty
much already know what they like IMHO.

All of which brings me back to my original concern that any such assist
mechanism should only be used to even out minimal amounts of BW
discrepancies, and not compensate for significant degrees of mass.

Hope this stayed reasonably clear and understandable...

Cheers
RicB