was year end/now low end pianos

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:47:23 -0800

David,

I finished off the day pitch raising & tuning a Currier spinet this
afternoon, remembering your post about a C grade piano. I learned that
the woman was at advanced beginner level when she quit playing her
childhood piano 40 years ago. She acquired it a few years back from her
mother and now was toying with the idea of starting again. As I was in
the grips of a virus, my faculties were partly at home in bed where the
rest of me should have been, and I was thankful that RCT could handle
the lion's share of the grunt work. Feeling below par as I did, though,
I had no expectations of saying, "that's the best this little guy has
ever sounded." (Maybe next tuning).

Half way through the pitch raise, she got a call from an old friend who
had just decided to come visiting from New York. Excitedly she tells me
that the friend is a concert pianist and how fortuitous that she is now
getting the piano tuned!

I'd have to say this raised the bar on the tuning a notch or two - not
so much the tuning itself but I managed to spend additional time looking
for slow-repeating notes in the extreme octaves, voicing problems,
bobbling hammers, squeaking pedals, etc., defects which probably
wouldn't bother someone at a rudimentary level of playing, but might
make the piano unusable to an accomplished player.

I realized that normally I do try to make a so-so piano sound and play
the best it can (being sensitive to the point of diminishing returns),
or at least make a noticeable improvement if there are impediments (as
in 50 - 100 cents flat in this case), but I am influenced by the
situation to some degree. There are instances where the instruction is
very clear, for example, to "just tune it to itself, no one here has
perfect pitch," and then there's all the rest where it's not clear and
you don't know who might be playing that piano.

As to the below, a timer is no judge of a tuning.

Tom Cole