Tuning Levers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:51:30 EST

Hi Matt
  Welcome aboard
  I use a extension Hammer made /sold by pianotec   & also a Yamaha hammer
with a long tip and 5 degree head. It has a 2 tip  & I never change it. Same
with the other. I find some pianos pin fit  & my physiology work welll with one
or the other hammer depending on  pin fit , ease of rendering & how I'm feeling
that day. I love the  subjective!
    Dale Erwin

Greetings fellow Piano Techs,

This is my first post to the list  serve so please be merciful. :-)

I will be purchasing a new tuning  hammer soon as my old lever has seen quite
a bit of wear and tear. I am  curious as to the different styles of hammers
you all use and if you have  any recommendations as to tuning levers that
have stood the test of time  and ones that may not be quite as good as they
were advertised.
Do some  of you carry multiple tuning hammers depending on the piano you come

across? Say, a heavier hammer for pitch raises and then switch to a  lighter
one for more precision work?

Thanks,

Matt Lavender

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com