Magnetic Rocker Capstan?

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 04:26:51 +0100

Not yet Joe, I want it pretty darn fine looking before I send off any
pics. But a basic description is cool enough. The arms a a bit longer
then the old style, and have only one screw. The back screw is replaced
with a spring to hold downwards pressure on it. The thing is held in
place by a bushed centerpin and flange arrangement and the front screw
is then left to do the up and down regulation. It is located forward of
the hammer rail so as to facilitate nice and easy adjustjment. The
magnet pair then does not interfere with the <<capstan>> adjustment.
This allows the key magnet to be fast mounted instead of having to be
able to fold it down. Its mounted in a brass capstan with the top bored
out enough to accept the magnet nicely, and runs through the middle of
the rocker arm. Obviously the screw part of the capstan is of much
smaller diameter then usual so as to not weaken the rocker arm assembly.
I'll get a picture when I am settled on the final prototype and am ready
to install on my test piano. One other detail tho, the keyside interface
with the undercushion will be a pinned roller which will limit friction
to a minimum at this interface.

You may remember this is an open source project, so anyone is free to
develop it in any way they wish.

Cheers

RicB