No downbearing ? REVISITED

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:51:21 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2004 11:13:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
davidskolnik@optonline.net writes:
John, you said:

 I was pointing out that down bearing is an indirect effect. Down bearing is
one of many factors that control the rate at which the vibrations in the
string will flow into the soundboard. It does this by altering the impedance of the
soundboard in relation to the vibrating string. It is not a note by note or a
string by strings effect. (Italics are mine - DS)

So I think you are saying that having zero or negative downbearing should
have no detrimental effect on the quality of an individual note. Do I have that
right?  I guess I would wonder then how many notes, how large a section would
it take for zero or negative downbearing to have a discernable impact?  Or to
borrow a term from the sculptor Richard Serra, how "site-specific" is impedance?
       David
    I haven't followed this thread closely but in answer to you above
underlined question I think it could be more a matter more of uneven bearing setting.
Many years ago I set uneven bearing accidentally on new board with a perfect
full crown & ended up with notes the had less vitality & the resultant sound I
describe as thwacking at the sound of impact. Short decay is not helped by
voicing (much) This sound is also present in board with too little impedance.
After correcting the problem the sound was normal. I most often notice this
sound in the 4th octave of boards that have lost crown. I've heard this sound on
two new & different-6 ft. Reger Kloss pianos with sustain soo short (2-3
seconds) around a-440 to d-5 that the piano was returned defective only to get
another. A law suit was required to solve the problem.
 Perhaps you could redirect me to you initial question if I've missed the
mark.

Dale Erwin
Erwins Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd, Modesto, Ca. 95357