No downbearing revisited

Sun, 1 Feb 2004 16:35:36 -0000

Hello List
This post is inordinately long, so I have started afresh. I _think_ it =
was David Skolnik who said: "  For example, if the string were to =
traverse the bridge, captured by the pins (horizontally) , but at 1/16th =
or 1/32' above the bridge surface?" It is, as I see it, the opposing =
angles of the bridge pins which keeps the string in firm contact with =
the bridge top. There can be Negative Downdbearing - yet, because of =
this " opposed angling pins" format, the string will be in firm contact =
with the strings (unless you loosen off the string tension). Imagine a =
fiddle - or 'cello - the string has very firm contact with the bridge =
and there is immense downbearing - except that the strings used are not =
of the piano variety. It goes without saying, of course, that the =
downbearing will diminish as strings are loosened off - but which =
measurement should be taken note of? the measurement _before_ loosening, =
or the measurement _after_ loosening off the strings. I feel that the =
closer to Zero downbearing in the fully tensioned strung piano, the =
fuller the tone and the longer the remanence after the string is struck. =
The remanence decreases in inverse ratio to the downbearing. The more =
downbearing:the less remanence. There is also another thread being =
introduced on the list lately: That of the effects of wave-form =
cancellations in the grand piano (the uprights are usually against a =
wall and therefore don't count so much) This cancellation effect is =
taken from the difference of the wave-form taken from the string side to =
that taken from the rib side. It seems to me that if it were possible to =
invert the rib-side wave-form we should end up with a very improved =
sound as it would add to rather than detract from the rib-side =
wave-form. It is the rib-side wave-form which is hurled into the =
audience by the open top lid..... but what happens when that lid is =
removed I ask? Surely the cancellation effect is greater!
Over to you.
Michael G (UK) from a darkening Sussex Downland village=20