Soundboard stiffening (was Re: No downbearing)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:23:30 -0600

>But I notice that Ron N has challenged me to be more accurate with my
>questions, and, judging from his tone, I don't have too many chances left,
>so I'm off to his post.  Good luck to me.
>
>David Skolnik

Hi David,
I'm not being testy here, at least not intentionally. It just looks to me
like you're looking for an answer that's different from the questions
you're asking. It's just not the bearing angle alone that makes piano tone.
It's the load induced by the bearing angle and tensions of the scale (which
aren't all alike) acting on the soundboard (which aren't all alike), rather
than the bridge surface, that does it. How much bearing is both allowable
and necessary depends on the string scale and soundboard design and current
condition. There is no absolute number, like 4, that will be valid in all
cases. It's not a multiple choice test. It's a system in which all the
parts interact, so much more than just the bearing needs to be taken into
account.

Ron N