Soundboard stiffening (was Re: No downbearing)

Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:21:25 -0500

Ron -
I was about to respond to your previous post, choosing first to fortify
myself with some 2CH (Chips'n Chardonnay).  Your 2nd post arrived in the
interim. I'll do this one first, then on to the previous one.  First off,
nothing wrong with letting me know if I'm not communicatn, I get that all
the time at home.  Let's skip down to your comment, shall we?

At 10:23 PM 2/1/2004 -0600, you wrote:

>>But I notice that Ron N has challenged me to be more accurate with my
>>questions, and, judging from his tone, I don't have too many chances
>>left, so I'm off to his post.  Good luck to me.
>>
>>David Skolnik

Ah, yes, here we are.  Please excuse the editing and the coloration.

>It's just not the bearing angle alone that makes piano tone.

Bu, bu, but, I never made such a claim!  I'm questioning the implied
contention that there need be no bearing angles (aka "no downbearing") or
that positive up-bearing  (aka "negative downbearing") are acceptable
configurations.

>  It's the load induced by the bearing angle and tensions of the scale
> (which aren't all alike) acting on the soundboard (which aren't all
> alike), rather than the bridge surface, that does it.

LOAD, as best as I can understand IMPLIES some degree of downbearing.

>How much bearing is both allowable and necessary depends on the string
>scale and soundboard design and current condition. There is no absolute
>number, like 4, that will be valid in all cases. It's not a multiple
>choice test. It's a system in which all the parts interact, so much more
>than just the bearing needs to be taken into account.

I believe I've said a number of times now that I'm not interested in
absolute numbers.  I'm responding to the implication that I can measure
negative downbearing in a significant area  of a piano and be told, by a
dealer or other technician that that's OK.  I don't even particularly care
what it sounds like!

So, on to your previous post.

First though....some more CH (duh...which one duh yuh think he means?)

David Skolnik