lid construction

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:44:40 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2004 7:19:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tune4@earthlink.net writes:
Just curious: how do you plan to "glue" the veneer to the core?  Do you have
a press rigged up, use contact cement, use a hot glue method, or use hot hide
glue?
I am getting to this now.  I have two choices, my first would be a vacuum
press, but I will need a larger bag than I have now, I can do an 8 x 4, but need
8.5 x 5.5 to have a comfortable fit.

I have had mixed results with wood glues and vacuum presses, I will
experiment first. If I can get it to work Tite bond would be my choice because of the
open time.

I may rig my pneumatic soundboard press for this, but I may have to make some
modifications to accommodate the thickness of core, veneer, and caul.

On such a large surface I was thinking the paper backed would be easier to
work with than standard veneer.  I will probably cross band it, simply to be on
the safe side.

As far as laying up the core, it has been a simple matter of cutting down the
larger pieces of material, alternating grain, planing, edgeing, glueing two
pieces together at a time and trying to keep everything as flat as possible.  I
have used bisquets through the first two assembly stages, while these are
handy for alignment, I think some of my alignment problems can be traced to the
biscuits.  So the bisquest have been a mixed blessing.

I will see about pictures.

Andrew Remillard