lid construction

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:20:55 -0600

  Subject: Re: lid construction

  In a message dated 2/2/2004 7:19:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tune4@earthlink.net writes:
    Just curious: how do you plan to "glue" the veneer to the core?  Do you
have a press rigged up, use contact cement, use a hot glue method, or use
hot hide glue?
    I am getting to this now.  I have two choices, my first would be a
vacuum press, but I will need a larger bag than I have now, I can do an 8 x
4, but need 8.5 x 5.5 to have a comfortable fit.
  I have had mixed results with wood glues and vacuum presses, I will
experiment first. If I can get it to work Tite bond would be my choice
because of the open time.
  I may rig my pneumatic soundboard press for this, but I may have to make
some modifications to accommodate the thickness of core, veneer, and caul.
  On such a large surface I was thinking the paper backed would be easier to
work with than standard veneer.  I will probably cross band it, simply to be
on the safe side.
  As far as laying up the core, it has been a simple matter of cutting down
the larger pieces of material, alternating grain, planing, edgeing, glueing
two pieces together at a time and trying to keep everything as flat as
possible.  I have used bisquets through the first two assembly stages, while
these are handy for alignment, I think some of my alignment problems can be
traced to the biscuits.  So the bisquest have been a mixed blessing.
  I will see about pictures.

  Andrew Remillard
  [Paul Chick (Earthlink)] Thank you, Andrew.  I, too, have had mixed
results with bisquits.  Where did you purchase your vacuum system?  I have a
few pieces that vacuum pressing would be the best solution.  Oakwood Veneer
Co. can provide veneers up to 5'x 12' unbacked,paperbacked or with pressure
sensitive adhesive applied.  This type of adhesive has worked for me on
concave and convex pieces,  but once down it's done, no backing up.  Hence
the interest in vacuum.  Do you have a good veneer supplier?

  Paul C