lid construction

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 01:55:29 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2004 10:27:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:
 Andrew-I believe its possible to coat both veneer & lid with thin Hot hide
or is it tight bond, anyway & then Iron it firmly into place. I'll check with
Bob Davis. I think he & Marcia have done this a few times. This would be way
simpler than what I'm hearing proposed.
Hi Dale,

We've used both glues while re-veneering lids, and the iron-on method, and
while they are fine for small projects, I don't think I'd do another lid with
this method. The projects came out well, but were just too much of a pain. It's
hard to get just the right amount of glue, and just the right amount of dry
(although one is re-heating/melting it) while handling large pieces of veneer.
We got a lot of bubbles, which were a pain to get down. It was hard to keep the
veneer joint absolutely tight (although we did use veneer tape). I think I'd
send it someone with a vacuum press.

I absolutely WOULD use crossbanding. I don't remember if we used maple or
mahogany for crossbanding (the face veneer was fancy figured mahogany), but it is
necessary for stability and strength. The cracked 1873 rosewood Steinway lid
I asked about a month ago is a case in point - it is made with face veneer
only, in the direction of the core.  Bill Youse, at the factory Restoration Shop,
said this cracking is pretty common on the single-veneered lids, which I
think go into about the 1880's.

By the way, I certainly appreciate all the folks who replied about that lid.
We were able to give the customer lots of information about the various
pitfalls of lid repairs (probably more than he wanted).

Bob Davis